Saturday, March 20, 2010

Travelling to Santa Fe

Last Friday evening, I started out from home in Rochester, NY and drove with my parents to Logan Airport in Boston (~6.5 hour drive). We got to our hotel in Boston at about 2am, and I was flying out of Logan at 6am, so I didn't get a chance to sleep or rest at all before taking the shuttle over to the airport at 4am. Check-in took only about 10 minutes, and my bag was 7 pounds over-weight, so American Airlines charged me an extra $50 for it. I then preceded to go to security, and at first I walked by it because I didn't notice the line that everyone was in (and I've never gone through security at Logan before). I ended up being very lucky, because when I turned around I finally saw security, but there was no line on the side I was on, so I just walked up to the officers and gave them my tickets/id. After giving them my tickets/id, the officer says "so you are driving to Dallas, and then flying to Albuquerque". I reply, 'yup, sounds right to me'. Then he laughs, and says, "oh, you had the tickets out of order, Logan -> Dallas -> ABQ". To which I said "oh, sorry, I'm really tired, my bad". And he was just like "that's why they invented caffeine", and then he told me I was all set to go through security. Once again, there was no line for security where I went through it, so I was able to go through it in about 2 minutes. After getting out of security, I started to try and figure out where my Gate was. I was confused because the signs said "gate's 30 thru 36 to the right, and gates 20-27 to the left", and the gate I was looking for was gate 28. After a couple of seconds, I realized I was already at my gate, and I took a seat in the seating area for the gate. All-in-all, I was very impressed with the speed by which I was able to get to my gate. I was seated and ready to board the plane by 4:20am, after leaving my hotel at only 4:00am. Me and Joel were meeting up in Dallas because we both had the same flight from Dallas to Albuquerque, so I texted Joel to let him know that I was waiting to board my flight. He replied telling me that he had just got to the airport (LaGuardia in NYC), and was stuck waiting in line behind a ton of people. His flight was also leaving at 6am, so he didn't have very long to get through everything. My flight finally boarded around 5:30, and Joel told me he was still not through security. I turned my phone off when the plane left the gate at 6, and never found out if Joel had actually gotten on his flight to Dallas or not. Upon arriving in Dallas I was able to turn my phone on, and discovered that Joel had in fact boarded, and was already at the gate for our flight to Albuquerque. We met up, got some food, then boarded the next flight. We got to Albuquerque at around 11:20am Mountain Time.

In Albuquerque we successfully got all of our luggage, and then set out to figure out exactly how to get to Santa Fe. After talking with a nice lady at the information desk, we found out that we needed to take the bus to the train station, and then take the RailRunner train to Santa Fe.

When the bus arrived, the driver got out, and told us that we were going to need to wait for a while because he was feeling sick. This turned into an hour and a half wait, while his supervisor came and took him to the hospital, and then another driver showed up to drive us around. Fortunately, the train wasn't leaving until 3:35, so having to wait from about noon until 2pm to get to the train station wasn't an issue.

On the bus, we met some interesting people, whom we introduced ourselves to as students from WPI and learned a lot about Albuquerque from them. The bus fare was $1 for a single ride, and $2 for a day-pass, but we didn't need to ride it any more, so we just paid $1. We finally arrived at the train station, and the new bus driver told us that we could just go wait for the RailRunner at the station and pay for a ticket once we boarded.

We went up to where the RailRunner was going to load, and there was this crazy woman that kept yelling at us to get away and to go in the direction she pointed. Me and  Joel ended up going back down to the main station, where I talked to some police officers to find out if we were waiting in the correct place for the RailRunner, because the woman had been telling us we were in the wrong place. I told him about the woman, and he just told us "Welcome to Albuquerque" and laughed.

We waited for the RailRunner, and had some more interactions with the crazy woman and some other people while we were up there. The train came, and for students to get from that station to the Santa Fe Depot one-way was only $3 (or $7 if you weren't a student).

After about an hour long train ride through some scenic settings we got had finally arrived in Santa Fe, very tired because of travelling and lack of sleep. We walked to our vacation home at 628 Don Felix Street (about 0.3 miles from the Santa Fe Depot), and moved into our rooms.

That concludes travelling to Santa Fe.

No comments:

Post a Comment